Synthesis of Research:
- Students need consistent reading instruction and teachers need support in understanding how to provide this.
- Students need opportunities to read high interest, appropriately leveled texts in volume. This is critical for language development, reading stamina, and love of reading.
- Writing supports student reading comprehension and students need continual instruction in learning how to write effectively to articulate their ideas.
- Word study and grammar instruction is most effective when integrated with reading, writing, and speaking activities, but some direct instruction is necessary.
- Students need opportunities to read, write and speak every day in every class.